Supervisors are encouraged to use the FoM SSRP application process as a learning opportunity and to work with their student partners to complete all aspects of the application package. Mentoring students through the grant application process will help them learn the components of a strong funding application – an essential skill for an individual pursuing a career involving research. The SSRP adjudication process is very competitive and thus it is to the team’s advantage to submit the strongest possible application.
- Supervisors must:
- Have a current faculty appointment in the FoM at UBC (includes affiliate appointments) at the rank of Assistant Professor or higher (including clinical). *Exceptions to the rank requirement may be possible at the distributed campuses only (IMP, NMP, SMP). Please contact linda.herbert [at] ubc.ca for additional information.
- Projects must:
- Involve active student participation in the proposed study,
- Be based on a clear and testable hypothesis, and
- Have operating funds in place to cover all research expenses (if applicable). The SSRP Award only provides a student stipend; supervisors are responsible for all other expenses.
- Student partners must:
- Be currently registered UBC students in either the MD undergraduate program or a non-MD undergraduate program at the time of application. Nursing and Dentistry students are not eligible.
- Awards for MD and non-MD applicants are adjudicated separately.
- Funding for SSRP projects comes from a variety of sources, each with its own set of requirements and restrictions. As a result the type of student partner you apply with and the area of research you are conducting may influence your chances of funding success. Supervisors are encouraged to review the funding section for information on historical SSRP funding and details of the funding used to support SSRP projects.
- MD and non-MD students may have different scheduling restrictions – for example the Year 3 MD curriculum starts in early August. Students and supervisors are encouraged to discuss project expectations, schedules and timelines in advance of agreeing to work together. Note that the SSRP funding period must occur between June1-August 31 but the 8 weeks of funding need not be consecutive.
Note that FoM SSRP Application packages must be submitted by a student-supervisor team. The SSRP coordinator does not match students with supervisors and thus supervisors are responsible for identifying a student partner well in advance of the application deadline. However, supervisors can opt to post their projects on the FoM SSRP website to assist in their search for a student partner.
STEP 1: Find a student partner
- If you already have a student partner skip to step 2.
- If you have not yet identified a student for your SSRP project you may wish to post your project on the SSRP website (click here to see where) to help you connect with interested students. Note that students and supervisors can connect via any means and using the SSRP website is optional.
- To post your project online email a completed Project Registration & Description Form to Linda Herbert (linda.herbert [at] ubc.ca) by Monday, January 28, 2012.
- Projects will be posted on the SSRP website for students to review and interested students will contact you. The method used to select a student partner is left to your discretion. Note that completed application packages from student-supervisor teams must be submitted by 4:00 pm on February 15, 2013 and thus we encourage supervisors to submit projects for posting as early as possible.
- Once you have found a student partner, please inform the FoM Research office so we can remove your project posting from the website.
- Supervisors may submit more than one project for posting on the website; however only one application per supervisor will be accepted for the competition and put forward for adjudication. Supervisors cannot submit multiple application forms with different student partners. Multiple applications from the same supervisor will be disqualified.
STEP 2: Submit an application with your student partner
- If you have already identified a student for your SSRP project work with your student partner to complete and submit an application package.
- If you have already identified a student partner your project does NOT have to be posted on the SSRP website.
- Note that each supervisor may only submit one SSRP application, multiple applications from the same supervisor will be disqualified.
- Students are no longer required to submit transcripts in the application package. Student transcripts will still be used in the evaluation process but they will be obtained internally. The SSRP Application Form asks applicants to give consent for their transcripts to be accessed. For details on how transcripts will be used please see the Adjudication page. Do not include letters of reference, CVs or any additional documentation with your SSRP application.
A complete application package includes:
1. FoM SSRP Application form
2. Signed FoM SSRP Consent form
Click here for SSRP APPLICATION FORMS and submission intructions.
DEADLINE: A complete application package must be submitted to Linda Herbert at fom.ssrp [at] ubc [dot] ca by February 15, 2013 at 4:00 PST. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. Please do not cc applications to Linda’s direct email address. Thank you!
STEP 3A: If your application is not successful:
- Applicants will be contacted in late April or early May with the results of the adjudication process. As we cannot confirm the program funding until this time we are unable to confirm SSRP placements at an earlier date.
- Unfortunately due to limited funding many excellent SSRP projects are unable to be funded each year. On average the program is only able to fund ~50% of the applications it receives. Supervisors are encouraged to discuss what will happen if their SSRP application is not successful with their student partners well in advance of the application period.
STEP 3B: If your application is successful:
- Applicants will be contacted in late April or early May with the results of the adjudication process. As we cannot confirm the program funding until this time we are unable to confirm SSRP placements prior to this time.
- Successful student applicants will receive their stipend in the form of a scholarship cheque which will be provided to them directly by the FoM Dean’s Office; SSRP stipends are not administered via payroll or with student appointment forms. Stipend cheques will be handled by the the FoM Student Research Coordinator and no additional paperwork is required from project supervisors to initiate payment.
- The SSRP will also purchase student accident insurance for all successful SSRP applicants for the duration of their SSRP placement.
- Supervisors will receive a request (via email) to complete a brief online program evaluation and a short Project Impact Questionnaire at the conclusion of the SSRP placement.
- Students will be required to complete a brief project summary report and their own online evaluation at the completion of their studentship. Students receiving funding from specific sources may also be required to complete additional documentation required by the funding agency. Additional details will be sent to successful applicants via email.