Deadline: February 14, 2014 at 4:00 pm
The Faculty of Medicine (FoM) Summer Student Research Program (SSRP) is a competition open to both MD (Years 1 and 2 only) and non-MD undergraduate students registered at UBC. Dentistry and nursing students are not eligible for this program, but undergraduates from other UBC undergraduate programs are welcome to apply (including, but not limited to, laboratory science, midwifery, science, kinesiology, pharmacy, and engineering). Non-UBC students are not eligible for this program. The SSRP provides funding for an 8-week summer research project supervised by a member of the Faculty of Medicine (FoM). Due to funding limitations not all applicants will be funded.
- 2013-14 SSRP Factsheet – for Faculty
- 2013-14 SSRP Factsheet – for MD students
- 2013-14 SSRP Factsheet – for non-MD students
*Please note that SSRP applications are restricted to one per individual. Multiple applications will be disqualified and not put forward for adjudication.
Funding for FoM Summer Student Research Program projects is provided from a variety of sources managed by the Faculty of Medicine. Students will be asked to indicate on their application form which funding they are eligible for. Note that all projects will automatically be considered for General Medical Research funding. See the funding page for additional information.
- MD students: $3,200 for 8 weeks* of full-time work.
- Non-MD students: $2,800 for 8 weeks* of full-time work.
*The 8 weeks must occur between June 1st – August 31st but need not be consecutive.
- FoM SSRP Application packages must be submitted by a student-supervisor team. The SSRP office does not directly match students with supervisors; however, supervisors can opt to post their projects on the SSRP website to assist in their search for a student partner.
- Students are encouraged to seek out a potential supervisor directly and not only apply to projects posted on the SSRP website – less than 25% of SSRP projects are posted on the website as most are developed by student supervisor teams who connect through other methods, namely student initiated contact.
A completed application package includes:
1. FoM SSRP Application form
2. Signed FoM SSRP Consent form
Applications will be evaluated and ranked by a committee of Faculty of Medicine faculty members. Additional information on the adjudication process, including the adjudication criteria can be found on the Adjudication page.
Please click here for available projects. Projects will be posted (in the order they are received) starting on December 12, 2013.
For additional information or questions not answered in the FAQ please contact:
Student Research Coordinator
Faculty of Medicine, Dean’s Office
linda.herbert [at] ubc [dot] ca
Phone: (604) 822-7154
MD students wishing to find a research placement in the vicinity of one of the distributed campuses can also contact their local research coordinator.