Supervisors are encouraged to use the SSRP application process as a learning opportunity and to work with their student partners to complete all aspects of the application package. Mentoring students through the grant application process will help them learn the components of a strong funding application – an essential skill for an individual pursuing a career involving research.
- Supervisors must:
- Have a current faculty appointment in the FoM at UBC (includes affiliate appointments) at the rank of Assistant Professor or higher (including clinical). *Exceptions may be made at the distributed campuses only. Please contact linda.herbert [at] ubc.ca for additional information.
- Projects must:
- Involve active student participation in the proposed experiments, and
- Have operating funds in place to cover all research expenses. The SSRP Award only provides a student stipend; supervisors are responsible for all other expenses.
- Student partners:
- Both MD and non-MD undergraduate students are eligible for the SSRP and awards for the two applicant types are adjudicated separately.
- Supervisors should be aware that funding for SSRP projects comes from a variety of sources, each with its own set of requirements and restrictions. As a result the type of student partner you apply with and the area of research you are conducting may influence your chances of funding success. Supervisors are encouraged to review the historical SSRP funding information and information on funding used to support SSRP projects.
Note that SSRP Application packages must be submitted by a student-supervisor team. The SSRP coordinator does not match students with supervisors; however, supervisors can opt to post their projects on the SSRP website to assist in their search for a student partner.
- If you have already identified a student for your SSRP project:
- Complete a Project Registration & Description Form for the student to include in his/her application package. If you have already identified a student partner your project does NOT have to be posted on the SSRP website.
- If you have not already identified a student for your SSRP project:
- Email your completed Project Registration & Description Form to Linda Herbert (linda.herbert [at] ubc.ca) by Monday, January 28, 2012.
- Projects will be posted on the SSRP website for students to review and interested students will contact you. The method used to select a student partner is left to your discretion. Note that completed application packages must be submitted by 4:00 pm on February 15, 2013 and thus we encourage supervisors to submit projects for posting as early as possible.
- Once you have found a student, please inform the FoM Research office so we can remove your project from the list of those available.
- Supervisors may submit more than one project for posting on the website; however only one completed application per supervisor will be accepted for the competition.