- The competition is only open to currently registered UBC students.
- MD undergraduate students must be registered in the first two years of the UBC MD Undergraduate Program.
- Non MD undergraduate students must be registered in a UBC undergraduate program at the time of application (the summer studentship can be held immediately after graduation). Please note that although funding priority is not directly given to upper level students (years 3+) they have historically scored higher in the adjudication process. For more information on this please see the FAQ section.
- Dentistry students are not eligible for the SSRP.
- Students may contact a supervisor directly to discuss creation of a new project, or review the available projects online and then contact the supervisor to set up an interview. Students are encouraged to seek out a potential supervisor directly and not only apply to projects posted on the SSRP website. The majority of SSRP projects result from students and supervisors connecting via other methods and thus are never posted on the website. The following handouts may be of assistance: Tips for Finding a Supervisor; Research Opportunities Information.
- If the supervisor and student agree to apply for the program, they will work together to complete and submit one application package.
- Students may only submit an application for one project.
- Complete application packages must be received in the Faculty of Medicine Research office by 4:00 pm on Friday, February 15, 2013.
Note students are no longer required to submit transcripts. Student transcripts will still be used in the evaluation process but they will be obtained internally. The SSRP Student Application Form asks applicants to give consent for their transcripts to be accessed. For details on how transcripts will be used please see Adjudication Process. Please do not include letters of reference or CVs
All application components must be received by February 15, 2013 at 4:00 pm. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Students will be required to complete a brief project summary report and an online evaluation after the completion of their studentship. Students receiving funding from specific sources may also be required to complete additional documentation required by the funding agency.