Funding for Summer Student Research Program projects is provided from a variety of sources managed by the Faculty of Medicine. Students will be asked to indicate on their application form which funding they are eligible for. Please choose all applicable options as this will aid in matching projects with appropriate funds. Note that all projects will automatically be considered for General Medical Research funding.
- See below for a list of funding sources
- Click here for historical funding and application information (including funding success rates)
- Click here for information on previously funded SSRP projects
The SSRP is only able to fund ~50% of the project applications we receive each year, consequently, we encourage you to apply to other student research programs in order to maximize your funding chances. However, please note that funding for the two month period can only be held from one source.
- MD students: $3,200 for two months of full-time work.
- Non-MD students: $2,800 for two months of full-time work.
Please note that the availability of specific funding sources may vary from year to year.
MD Undergraduate Students
- Albert & Mary Steiner Summer Research Award: To support MD student medical research projects.
- BC Clinical Genomics Network Award: To support MD student research projects in the field of clinical genomics, genetics, genomic technologies, genomic data analysis and database design or knowledge translation in the field of genomics. (2-4 awards available)
- BC Surgical Oncology Network – To support MD student projects in the field of surgical oncology. (1 award available) Support of $400/week will be provided for up to 10 weeks.
- CIHR Health Professional Student Research Award: To support MD student biomedical health research projects. Project supervisors must hold peer-reviewed grant funding.
- Faculty of Medicine MD Undergraduate Program funding: To support MD student medical research projects.
- Florence E. Heighway Summer Research Award: To support MD student medical research projects.
- Leukemia & Lymphoma Society of Canada Award: To support MD student research in leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin’s disease, myeloma or other blood cancer. Please note that the winner of this award will receive a $5000 stipend for a 10 week studentship. (1 award)
- Mach-Gaensslen Foundation of Canada Award: To support MD student research projects in the areas of cardiology, oncology or psychiatry.
- Statistics in Medicine Award: To support MD student research that promotes a strong understanding of the importance of statistics in medicine/medical research.
Non-MD Undergraduate Students
- Cecil D. & Clarabel C. Morris Research Fund in Medicine: To support research in neurology and research in pulmonary, cardiac and rheumatoid diseases.
- Elise May Hogg Fund: To support heart research.
- J.D. Jones Estate: To support research into cardiovascular diseases.
- Kinsley Brotherton McLeod Endowment: To support research into diabetes.
- Mary Hodson Estate for Medical Research: To support research in muscular dystrophy.
- Violet B. Arnott Memorial Fund: To support medical research in psychiatry and pharmacy.
- William & Ada Isabelle Steel Fund: To support research in areas where federal resources are not available, and in particular research into diseases of the kidney.
- Anne S. Campbell Estate - To support medical research.
- Carmen Crawford Browne Estate Fund for Medical Research: To support medical research.
- Douglas Hodge Gilmore Estate: To support medical research.
- Estate of Aileen Smith Medical Research Endowment Fund: To support medical research.
- Florence & George Heighway Endowment Fund: To support medical research.
- Thomas C. Bell Estate Medical Research Endowment Fund: To support medical research.
- Willard S. Kitchen Memorial Research Fund: To support medical research.
Funding available to all undergraduate students
- Providence Health Care Research Institute: to support projects affiliated with the Providence Health Care.
- Vancouver Coastal Health Research Institute: to support projects affilaited with Vancouver Coastal Health.
- Women’s Health Research Institute: to support projects affiliated with Women’s Health Research Institute.
- Vancouver Island Health Authority: to support projects affiliated with Vancouver Island Health Authority.
- Interior Health Authority: to support projects affiliated with Interior Health Authority.
- Private donations: to support general medical research and/or projects in priority areas identified by the donor(s). Availability of funds varies from year to year.
The Summer Student Research Program provides MD and non-MD undergraduate students with an opportunity to explore their interest in medical research by undertaking a project over the summer under the supervision of a principal investigator with an appointment in the Faculty of Medicine. The program is funded through the generous contributions of our donors and partners. If you are interested in making a gift to support student research, please contact Lisa Slater, Development Officer in the Faculty of Medicine, at 604-822-7087 or by email at email@example.com.