February 15, 2013 at 4:00 pm This competition is currently closed. The 2014 competition will open in December 2013.
The Summer Student Research Program (SSRP) is a competition open to both MD (Years 1 and 2 only) and non-MD undergraduate students registered at UBC. Dentistry and nursing students are not eligible for this program, but undergraduates from other UBC undergraduate programs are welcome to apply (including, but not limited to, laboratory science, midwifery, science, kinesiology, pharmacy, and engineering). Non-UBC students are not eligible for this program. The SSRP provides funding for a summer research project supervised by a member of the Faculty of Medicine (FoM). Due to funding limitations not all applicants will be funded.
- 2012-13 SSRP Factsheet for Potential Supervisors (general)
- 2012-13 SSRP Factsheet for MD Undergraduate Students
- 2012-13 SSRP Factsheet for non-MD Undergraduate Students
*Please note that SSRP applications are restricted to one per individual
Funding for Summer Student Research Program projects is provided from a variety of sources managed by the Faculty of Medicine. Students will be asked to indicate on their application form which funding they are eligible for. Note that all projects will automatically be considered for General Medical Research funding. See the funding page for additional information.
- MD students: $3,200 for 8 weeks* of full-time work.
- Non-MD students: $2,800 for 8 weeks* of full-time work.
*The 8 weeks must occur between June 1st – August 31st but need not be consecutive.
- SSRP Application packages must be submitted by a student-supervisor team. The SSRP office does not directly match students with supervisors; however, supervisors can opt to post their projects on the SSRP website to assist in their search for a student partner.
- Students are encouraged to seek out a potential supervisor directly and not only apply to projects posted on the SSRP website – less than 25% of SSRP projects are posted on the website as most are developed by student supervisor teams who connect through other methods, namely student initiated contact.
- An eligible supervisor develops an SSRP project by completing the Project Registration and Description form.
- If the supervisor does not already have a student for his/her project:
- The supervisor can email their completed Project Registration and Description form to the Student Research Coordinator to be posted on the SSRP website for students to view. Students will contact the supervisor directly for an interview; the process of student selection is left to their discretion.
- Supervisors can also connect with students via other methods, posting on the website is simply one method of finding a student partner.
- If the supervisor already has a student partner in mind the project does not have to be posted on the website or registered with the SSRP Office prior to application submission.
- When the supervisor finds a suitable student partner, the student will include the information from the completed Project Registration and Description form in their application package (the Project Registration and Description form is not part of the application package and should not be submitted with your application).
- Unlike previous years, students will no longer be required to submit transcripts. The application form will instead seek student consent to access transcripts via the Student Information System.
- The submitted projects will be evaluated and ranked by a committee. Students and supervisors are usually notified of the results in late April. Additional information on the adjudication process can be found below.
A complete application package must be submitted to Linda Herbert at fom.ssrp [at] ubc [dot] ca no later than 4:00 p.m. on February 15, 2013. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. Please do not cc applications to Linda’s direct email address. Thank you!
A completed application package includes:
1. 2013 SSRP Application form
2. Signed 2013 SSRP Consent form
ELIGIBILITY, PROCEDURES & FORMS
- 2013 SSRP forms
- Supervisor Project Submission and Application Process
- Student Application Process
- Adjudication Information
- Island Medical Program, Northern Medical Program and Southern Medical Program
- 2013 SSRP Project Summary Report template (will be posted in summer 2013)
Please click here for available projects. Projects will be posted (in the order they are received) starting on December 10, 2012.
For additional information or questions not answered on the website please contact:
Student Research Coordinator
Faculty of Medicine, Dean’s Office
linda.herbert [at] ubc [dot] ca
Phone: (604) 822-7154
Fax: (604) 822-6061