As part of UBC’s ongoing efforts to increase the benefits for PDFs, the Postdoctoral Fellows Office (PDFO) and the FOM are pleased to announce the launch of a PDF travel fund. These awards are intended to assist PDFs with travel to conferences to present research performed at UBC.
Travel support will be provided to a maximum of $750 per recipient, regardless of whether the travel is to occur within Canada or outside of Canada.
In order to qualify for a PDF Travel Award, the following criteria must be met:
- The applicant must be accepted to present an oral presentation or poster at a conference and must be the 1st author of the accepted abstract
- No previous UBC PDF Travel Awards have been received by the applicant
- The presentation must be on research performed during a PDF appointment at UBC
- The applicant must be a current UBC PDF at time of application and at time of travel
Applicants must agree to submit a 200-word report of the activity within 3 weeks of their return, granting the PDFO permission to post this report on its website. Please submit the report to email@example.com.
- Travel costs
- Accommodation expenses
- Meal expenses
- Conference registration fees
For information about per diem rates and other eligible travel expenses, please see UBC Policy #83 – Travel and Related Expenses.
Applications can be submitted up to 3 months in advance of the calendar quarter in which the travel will occur (based on the first date of travel). Please note the following dates:
|Calendar Quarter in which the travel will occur||Dates applications are accepted|
|Q1 – January 1 to March 31||October 1 to December 31|
|Q2 – April 1 to June 30||January 1 to March 31|
|Q3 – July 1 to September 30||April 1 to June 30|
|Q4 – October 1 to December 31||July 1 to September 30|
To apply, the following documents must be submitted to: Adrienne Hammond, Research Secretary, Faculty of Medicine, Dean’s Office.
- A completed PDF Travel Awards Application Form (MS Word)
- A copy of the applicant’s CV (4 page maximum)
- An outline of the conference
- Proof that you will be presenting at the conference
Submissions can be made by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications will be reviewed for eligibility and awarded via a lottery system. Decisions are made at the end of the Calendar Quarter prior to travel. All applicants will be notified of the status of their application by email.
Eligible applicants are awarded from a quarterly apportioned fund. Each quarterly apportionment is designated for travel taking place during that quarter.
In order to be reimbursed, accepted applicants must provide the following within 3 weeks of returning from travel:
By mail, to:
Faculty of Medicine, Dean’s Office
317-2194 Health Sciences Mall
- A completed PDF Travel Awards Reimbursement Form (MS Word)
- Original, itemized and dated receipts
By email, to email@example.com:
- A completed PDF Travel Awards Conference Report (MS Word). Payment will be generated by Financial Services. For questions pertaining to payment, please directly contact Financial Services Requisition Processing. Please note that original receipts will not be returned.
Please email FOM PDF coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org should you have any questions.