Note: See Operating Grants for complete Faculty of Medicine application procedures. The procedure for Operating Grants is different from the procedure for Salary Awards.
For the 2013 March CIHR Operating Grant competition, the Faculty of Medicine (FoM) has agreed with the Office of Research Services (ORS) on the following procedures/timelines:
- Your application package must be submitted to the Dean’s Office or affiliated hospital research office by Monday, February 25th, 2013 for Faculty approval. You have the option of dropping off a paper copy or emailing it to the Faculty signature contact for your site. Note that Bryan Wong (email@example.com) is the contact for Faculty approval for those located at the UBC Point Grey campus. See below for a complete list of the required items.
NOTE: Remember to keep a copy of your co-applicant(s) signatures, or upload your signature pages on to ResearchNet, before submitting your application package.
- Your documents will be printed (if sent by email) and after Faculty approval, taken to ORS.
- Your electronic copy should be submitted via ResearchNet no later than Thursday, February 28th, 2013. (This allows you to continue working on the scientific portion of your grant after you have submitted your paper copy for Faculty approval until you submit electronically through ResearchNet on or before February 28th).
- ORS will electronically approve your application via ResearchNet for submission to CIHR.
- If you cannot meet the February 28th deadline for ResearchNet e-submission, ORS will accept your e-submission on ResearchNet up until 10:00a.m., Friday, March 1st, 2013 provided that:
- Required documents were approved by the FoM and submitted to ORS
- Application is complete, including all signatures from co-applicants signatures (if any)
To avoid system issues which may cause delay in the submission process on the deadline day, you are highly encouraged to submit early. Should you submit your documents for Faculty approval after February 25th, 2013, you will not receive a guarantee of administrative review from ORS which includes confirmation of application completeness and requisite signatures. Please remember that in addition to Point Grey Campus, Faculty approval can be obtained from the Associate Deans of Research at other hospital sites (VCHRI, PHCRI, CFRI, and BCCRC) as well.
Required Documents to be submitted to the FoM for the CIHR Operating Grant:
- Completed FoM Grant Application Cover Sheet, including signatures of the Principal Investigator and Department Head
- CIHR Application Details pages 1 & 2 (available as a PDF from ResearchNet – click on “Preview Application Materials” under list of tasks, then on next screen, click on “Preview” to the right of “Application Details” under the heading, “Application Materials”).
NOTE: It has come to our attention that some applicants are selecting various sites, departments, etc for the Institution Paid question on the Application Details. In the “Institution Paid” field, it is critical that you select the UBC code, “CAAA” from the dropdown list to ensure your application is routed to UBC ORS for approval.
- CIHR signature pages, including:
- Routing slip
- Signature page for co-applicants (if applicable). The nominated principal applicant does not need to sign on the CIHR signature pages. NOTE: CIHR requires all signature pages to be scanned and uploaded to ResearchNet. As a result, any/all signatures can be faxed, photocopied, or stamped.
- Institution signature page – ORS will approve on ResearchNet, so this page will not be signed and returned to you
- Summary of research proposal page
- “Application for Funding – Budget” pages from CIHR, and budget justification
- In the case of cooperative projects, letters of support or commitment from collaborating companies or institutions
Please visit the ORS website for the CIHR Operating Grant eSubmission Procedure at http://www.ors.ubc.ca/contents/cihr-operating-grant-esubmission-procedures.
- March 2013 CIHR Operating Grant timeline, Point Grey researchers (PDF)