Internal Faculty of Medicine Competition
Deadline: March 28, 2013, 4:30pm PST
- The Faculty of Medicine is launching an internal CRC competition to fill three vacant CRC Tier 2 Chairs who will go forward in the national CRC competition in October 2013.
- These Chairs will be available for:
- Tier 2 Retention,
- Tier 2 New recruitment, or
- Tier 2 to Tier 1 advancement.
- A Tier 2 CRC is expected to:
- be an excellent emerging researcher who has demonstrated particular research creativity;
- have demonstrated the potential to achieve international recognition in the next five to ten years;
- propose an original, innovative research program of high quality;
- have the potential to attract excellent trainees, students and future researchers.
- A Tier 1 CRC is expected to:
- be an outstanding and innovative researcher whose accomplishments have made a major impact in their fields;
- be recognized internationally as a leader in their field;
- have a superior record of attracting and supervising graduate students and postdoctoral fellows (taking into account practices in the relevant field or discipline) and, as a chairholder, be expected to attract excellent trainees, students and future researchers;
- propose an original, innovative research program of the highest quality.
- Departments/Schools may submit either a candidate for retention or a proposal for new recruitment, but not both. The proportion of Tier 2 Chairs allocated to retention or new recruitment will be determined by the quality of the candidate and strategic priority of the Faculty of Medicine. A Department/School wishing to “promote” a current Tier 2 CRC to a Tier 1 must submit this person’s application to the retention competition. Only exceptional Tier 2 to Tier 1 advancement nominations will be considered. The FoM internal deadline is March 28, 2013, 4:30pm PST.
- For the retention competition, Departments/Schools may submit one candidate. It is the responsibility of the Department/School to ensure the eligibility of the proposed candidate (see http://www.chairs-chaires.gc.ca/program-programme/nomination-mise_en_candidature-eng.aspx#nominees) and a viable funding plan for the position. This must be confirmed before the Faculty of Medicine internal deadline.
- Departments/Schools (with Centres as partners, as appropriate) may submit proposals for new recruitment at the Tier 2 level. A candidate is neither required nor desired at the time of submission. Rather, proposals will be judged on:
- new strengths and innovative research the recruitment will bring to the Faculty and the unit(s) involved;
- the strength of the unit’s commitment to provide the new recruit with the supports needed to make him/her successful;
- integration with UBC and Faculty of Medicine’s Strategic Research Plans;
- a viable funding plan.
The successful proposals will be granted a 12 month “license to recruit”. To ensure that units comply with the commitments in their proposal, the Dean’s Office reserves the right to appoint one or more members of the search committee.
- Proposals in both retention and new recruitment categories will be reviewed by a committee of peers who will make a recommendation to the Dean.
- In all cases, retention or new recruitment, Departments/Schools must commit to an F-slot by 2024 or equivalent sustainable long-term funding source, such as endowment funding or funding available for Clinician Scientists.
Please complete only a Retention or a Tier 2 New Recruitment application.
- Application Form – Retention Candidate (PDF fillable form)
(Faculty at UBC or Tier 2 to Tier 1 advancement)
TIER 2 NEW RECRUITMENT:
- Application Form – Tier 2 New Recruitment (PDF fillable form)
(Faculty not yet at UBC)
- Application Form Guidelines & FAQs
- Score Sheet – Retention Candidate
- Score Sheet – Tier 2 New Recruitment
The completed application must be received via email (PDF format) by March 28, 2013, 4:30pm PST. Late nominations will not be accepted. Submissions that are missing any of the required support documentation or that do not meet the requirements will not be accepted.
If you have any questions, please contact Lina Jung, Research Grant Development Officer, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please email your completed application to:
Office of the Executive Associate Dean, Research
Faculty of Medicine, Dean’s Office, Research
c/o Lina Jung at email@example.com